Job & Volunteer Opportunities
We want to delight our users. So we expect the best from everyone. Read more about our culture.
The River Forest Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please download our job application here.
Are you an innovative and strategic leader with top-notch communication skills? Are you excited about the evolving role of modern public libraries? The River Forest Public Library Board of Trustees is seeking a Director to lead and empower a dedicated staff known for its customer service excellence and for creating a friendly, welcoming environment. You’ll be leading an excellent library as it moves to the next level.
The River Forest Public Library is located in River Forest, Illinois (population 11,172), a near-west suburb of Chicago easily accessible by public transportation. We utilize an approximately $1.4 million budget to offer a wide range of collections, services, and programs for all ages. With annual circulation over 200,000, the library is highly regarded by our engaged community, more than 70% of whom hold current library cards.
How You’ll Serve Our Library:
- Oversee all aspects of staffing, budgeting, financial reporting, physical facilities, insurance, and legal compliance; applying professional library management standards to ensure a smoothly functioning library
- Ensure that library collections, programs, services and spaces are responsive to community needs
- Recruit, manage, evaluate, and mentor a well-trained, customer service-oriented staff
- Manage the maintenance and upkeep of the historic library building, including long term improvements
- Formulate and manage the library budget and the tax levy process
- Effectively communicate financial, policy, technology, facility, and staff organization needs to the Board of Trustees; keep the Board apprised of events, trends, and issues affecting the library and the community
- Work with the Board of Trustees to develop, monitor and amend priorities, including developing strategies to deal with growth and change
- Foster and encourage formal and informal relationships with area libraries, local government agencies, and community organizations, including the RFPL Foundation
- Full job description available at https://www.riverforestlibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/RFPL-Library-Director-Job-Description-1.pdf.
What We Require:
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible managerial experience in public libraries
- Familiarity with Illinois Library Statutes, Illinois State Library requirements, RAILS, and preferably SWAN consortium
- Strong communication skills, collaborative style, and strategic thinking
What we offer:
We offer a competitive salary. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes employee health, dental, generous paid time off and participation in the IMRF retirement plan.
Interviews: Virtual and Onsite
Job Location: Onsite
How to apply:
If you desire a high-impact role with an excellent team and an engaged community, the River Forest Public Library may be the place for you. For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to: https://riverforestlibrary.recruitpro.com/jobs/153677-32334.html.
The River Forest Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Library occasionally has volunteer opportunities. To apply, please download the general interest volunteer general interest volunteer form (pdf).