Job & Volunteer Opportunities
Description: A part-time position coordinating programs for middle schoolers under the supervision of the Middle School & Teen Librarian and providing Children’s reference and reader advisory services under the supervision of the Children’s Services Manager.
Deadline for Applications: Friday August 4th, 2017
Job Description: River Forest Public Library is searching for a creative, crafty, and enthusiastic Connections Program Associate to supervise and engage middle schoolers in our weekly DIY and gaming/ movie programs. Co-sponsored by the RF Township these are free, drop in programs serving children in grades 5-8 during after school time on Tuesdays and Fridays. With guidance from the Middle School and Teen Librarian, the Connections Program Associate will work on planning and implementing these bustling hands on programs and foster a friendly organized setting.
This position will also serve youth of all ages on the Children’s Services desk one weekly shift, with additional opportunities to serve at the Adult and Teen Services desk during after school hours. There may also be opportunities to assist the Middle School & Teen Librarian with programs for patrons in both middle and high school. This position is ideal for those who want to develop their programming skills while working with young teens. Extended employment opportunity may become available.
Full/part time: Part Time: an average of 10 hours each week; Friday afternoons and Tuesdays throughout the school year. The candidate will be expected to commit to working through the beginning of June 2018.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Connections Program Associate will assist the Middle School and Teen Librarian in developing programs supported by the Youth Services of Oak Park River Forest Township. Responsibilities include working with the Middle School & Teen Librarian, Children’s Services Manager, and Adult Services Manager to provide library services to children ages birth -8th grade by:
- Plan and present two weekly programs for children 10-14 years of age.
- Middle School Makers, Tuesdays throughout the school year.
- Middle School Gaming/Movie, Fridays throughout the school year
- Work collaboratively with other library staff to assist with planning and implementation of multi-generational programs and community events.
- Compile and evaluate attendance data after each program session.
- Create a friendly, patron-focused environment that welcomes community members of all ages so that they may utilize the library’s resources to their fullest potential.
- Understand and respond to the needs of parents, teachers, caregivers and children and assisting them in finding appropriate print and non-print materials.
- Provide instruction to library patrons on the use of SWAN and electronic resources.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in interpreting policies to the public, and by referring unresolved issues to the managers as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or LTA with a minimum of 2 years related library experience. Preference will be given to students enrolled in an accredited MLS or MLIS program.
- Must be able to work Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Experience working with children in a library or school setting highly preferred.
- A working knowledge of popular movies, games, crafts, and interests, such as Minecraft, Cubelets, Perler beads, etc. is preferred.
- A knowledge and appreciation of middle grade literature and the developmental needs young teens is important.
- Customer service experience is preferred.
- Has the ability to work independently and exercise initiative.
- Ability to learn or show proficiency with the SWAN catalog, SirsiDynix WorkFlows, and Microsoft Office programs.
- Room set-up is frequently necessary so the Associate must have the ability to lift and move tables and chairs.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Salary information: 14.50/hour
Materials Services Assistant II – 2 positions available
Deadline for Applications: Open until positions are filled
Job Description: The River Forest Public Library is searching for 2 enthusiastic Materials Services Assistant IIs to join our team. The Materials Assistant II is a part-time position under the supervision of the Materials and Business Services Manager working in the Circulation Department.
Responsibilities include working with the Assistant Materials Services Manager and other staff members to provide library services to the public at the circulation services desk by:
- Understanding and responding to the needs of library patrons by providing courteous, knowledgeable assistance in all aspects of circulation, including checking in and checking out library materials, collecting fines, and handling renewals.
- Demonstrating effective communication skills in interpreting policies to the public.
- Checking the Circulation email, responding to patron requests, updating staff with information sent, and clearing the hold shelf.
- Balancing the cash register, entering totals in appropriate spreadsheets and replenishing cash in the register as needed.
- Searching for and placing holds on library materials.
- Issuing and renewing all library cards.
- Shelving all formats of library materials, shifting materials as necessary.
- Openings interlibrary loan bins, empties book drop(s).
- Assisting with meeting room setup including AV setup and takedown.
- Checking in materials; place items in transit/on hold for library patrons.
- Handling telephone inquiries and routes calls as appropriate.
- Going through the library stacks to retrieve items for patrons and staff.
- Sorting incoming mail and route to appropriate personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Full/part time: Part Time: 12-14 hours per week.
Schedule 1: Wednesday and Friday afternoons required. Weekend availability including, 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday (September – May) per month required. Occasional evening availability may be required.
Schedule 2: Monday evenings and Thursday afternoons required. Weekend availability including, 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday (September – May) per month required. Occasional evening availability may be required.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Cash handling experience is required.
- Computer literate and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to arrange alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to reach, bend, lift and retrieve materials.
- Ability to show initiative, use good judgment in making decisions and exercise discretion with patrons and staff.
- Must be able to lift and carry at least 20 lbs. and push or pull carts loaded with library materials.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
Salary Information: $11.20/hour
The Library occasionally has volunteer opportunities. To apply, please download the general interest volunteer general interest volunteer form (pdf).