Job & Volunteer Opportunities
Materials Services Assistant II
Deadline for Applications: Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Job Description: The River Forest Public Library is searching for an enthusiastic Materials Services Assistant II to join our team. The Materials Assistant II is a part-time position under the supervision of the Materials and Business Services Manager working in the Circulation Department.
Responsibilities include working with the Assistant Materials Services Manager and other staff members to provide library services to the public at the circulation services desk by:
- Understanding and responding to the needs of library patrons by providing courteous, knowledgeable assistance in all aspects of circulation, including checking in and checking out library materials, collecting fines, and handling renewals.
- Demonstrating effective communication skills in interpreting policies to the public.
- Checking the Circulation email, responding to patron requests, updating staff with information sent, and clearing the hold shelf.
- Balancing the cash register, entering totals in appropriate spreadsheets and replenishing cash in the register as needed.
- Searching for and placing holds on library materials.
- Issuing and renewing all library cards.
- Shelving all formats of library materials, shifting materials as necessary.
- Openings interlibrary loan bins, empties book drop(s).
- Assisting with meeting room setup including AV setup and takedown.
- Checking in materials; place items in transit/on hold for library patrons.
- Handling telephone inquiries and routes calls as appropriate.
- Going through the library stacks to retrieve items for patrons and staff.
- Sorting incoming mail and route to appropriate personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Full/part time: Part Time: 12-14 hours per week.
Requirements: Wednesday and Friday afternoons required. Weekend availability including, 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday (September – May) per month required. Occasional evening availability may be required.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Cash handling experience is required.
- Computer literate and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to arrange alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to reach, bend, lift and retrieve materials.
- Ability to show initiative, use good judgment in making decisions and exercise discretion with patrons and staff.
- Must be able to lift and carry at least 20 lbs. and push or pull carts loaded with library materials.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Salary Information: $10.75/hour
Youth Services Associate
Deadline for Applications: May 1, 2017
Job Description: River Forest Public Library is searching for an enthusiastic Youth Services Associate to join our team of Library Associates. The Youth Services Associate will work primarily in the Children’s Services Department, serving kids from birth-4th grade and their parents/caregivers. There may also be future opportunities to assist the Middle School and Teen Services staff with programs for kids in grades 5-8. This position is ideal for those who want to develop their skills working with children and young teens.
The Youth Services Associate will assist the Manager of Children’s Services with:
- Providing reference and readers’ advisory services in the Children’s Room.
- Promoting the Children’s collection and programs by creating print and online book lists, displays of library materials, and promotional materials.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of programs for children age birth through 4th
- Regular and ongoing administrative support tasks within the Department.
- Collection management responsibilities.
The Youth Services Associate will be trained and regularly scheduled to staff the Children’s Services Desk 3 weekday shifts each week and 2-3 weekend shifts each month. The Youth Services Associate will also present an outreach preschool story time on Wednesday mornings. Additional hours will be scheduled on an intermittent basis, especially during the summer.
Full/part time:Part Time: an average of 12-16 hours each week
The ideal candidate would be available Tuesdays and Fridays from 1-5 PM and Wednesdays from 10 AM-5 PM with additional weekday flexibility and the ability to work Saturdays and Sundays.
Requirements: A college degree and experience working with children ages birth-4th grade and young teens is required. Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature and the developmental needs and interests of children and young teens is important. The successful candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work independently and exercise initiative. Preference will be given to students enrolled in an accredited MLS or MLIS program.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Salary information: $14/hour
The Library occasionally has volunteer opportunities. To apply, please download the general interest volunteer general interest volunteer form (pdf).